Hazard Mitigation Planning Project
|Resource Library||Hazard Maps||Public Engagement||FAQ|
A hazard mitigation plan is the foundation of a community’s long-term strategy to reduce disaster losses and break the cycle of disaster damage, reconstruction, and repeated damage.
CRESA is working with our partners to update the Hazard Mitigation Plan for Clark County, its seven cities, and other participating agencies. This plan identifies how each agency will take action in advance of a disaster to reduce disaster risks. This project was formally started on July 9, 2015 and is expected to continue until approximately September 2016.
City of Battle Ground
City of Camas
City of La Center
City of Ridgefield
City of Vancouver
City of Washougal
City of Woodland
Town of Yacolt
|Clark Public Utilities
Port of Vancouver
Clark Regional Wastewater District
Battle Ground Public Schools
Camas School District
Ridgefield School District
Clark County Fire District 3
When it’s complete, a hazard mitigation plan should reflect a community consensus on how we will work together over several years to reduce our risks from natural disasters. Here are the key steps in the planning process that ensure that we achieve consensus, involve stakeholders, and meet planning requirements:
1. Organize stakeholders – Identify the best representatives from local government, non-profits, private sector, the public, and other stakeholders.
2. Involve the public – Provide multiple pathways for the public to get involved including public meetings, planning workshops, and surveys.
3. Assess risks – Develop a hazard profile for the hazards of concern such as floods, earthquakes, and storms. Where do they occur? How often? Identify resources and people at risk.
4. Develop mitigation goals, objectives, and actions – Determine how we will reduce the risks that were identified in the risk assessment.
5. Assemble the plan and get approvals – The plan must be approved by the Washington State Emergency Management Division and FEMA and then be adopted by local jurisdictions.
6. Implement the plan and monitor progress – Put the plan into action.