Kids & 9-1-1
What Should I Teach My Child About Calling 9-1-1?
Many children know to dial 9-1-1 in an emergency, but often do not know other important information, such as their address or how to reach a parent at work. Here is some of the most important information children need to now about calling 9-1-1:
- Teach your children their names, their parents' names, their home address and home phone number
- Teach your children the name of your employer and phone number
- Teach your children what an emergency is and when to call 9-1-1
- Teach your children how to hold the phone properly so that they can speak clearly to the dispatcher
- Teach your children that it is against the law to call 9-1-1 as a joke or prank
- Teach your children not to be afraid to call 9-1-1 if there is any doubt whether they should call
- Calling a parent at work before calling 9-1-1 can waste valuable time. Give them permission to call 9-1-1 if they think there is an emergency
Emery's 911 Kids Corner
Do you know what number to call in an emergency? Emery the Emergency Penguin wants to help you learn about how to call 9-1-1, when to call 9-1-1 and where to call 9-1-1.
Learn the do's and don'ts of calling 9-1-1: