Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC)


The Clark County LEPC meets quarterly. All meetings are open to the public.


The Clark County Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC) supports preparedness for chemical emergencies and facilitates communication and coordination among those who have a stake in hazardous materials response and recovery.

The LEPC is involved in:

  • Maintaining the Clark County Hazardous Materials Response Plan
  • Making information about chemical inventories available to the public
  • Assessment of industrial and transportation-related chemical hazards
  • Coordinating training and exercises
  • Supporting public-private partnerships for preparedness
  • Educating the public about chemical hazards and how they should prepare and respond

The LEPC is authorized by the Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA). Washington State requires each county to have an LEPC.

Protecting Yourself From Chemical Incidents

Do you know what you'll do if you come upon a chemical spill or if there is a hazardous materials incident in your neighborhood or at your workplace?

If you come across a suspicious container, package, or substance that may be hazardous, call 911 immediately.

If there is a chemical emergency near you, public safety officials may require evacuation. However, very often they may ask that you get indoors, close all doors and windows, and shut off the ventilation system. This protective action, called 'shelter-in-place', is usually the best way to protect yourself from hazardous vapors. For more information see Know What to do During Chemical Emergencies (PDF).

If you or your business is responsible for a spill it is very important that you take immediate steps to protect public health and safety and meet your legal obligations. If the spill presents a potential threat to life, health, and the environment, call 911 immediately. You also need to make certain required notifications. For more information, see How to Report a Spill.

Learn About Chemicals in Your Community

Do you know what businesses in your community use chemicals? Businesses that have chemicals are required to report their inventories each year to state and local officials. Those state and local officials are then required to make that information available to you upon request. You may contact CRESA to make a request for those records. That information is also available from the Washington State Department of Ecology. Check out their EPCRA homepage for more information.

For More Information